Back End (Elixir) / Integrations Engineer
We’re seeking an experienced Back End / Integrations Engineer who is looking for a new career opportunity to be the next member of our growing 30-person team. The ideal candidate is efficient, creative, detail-oriented, and motivated to work on challenging yet meaningful work that has the potential to shape an entire profession.
The Instinct team is fully distributed, thus geographic location isn’t important as long as you can overlap with our regular business hours (Mon-Fri 8-5 ET).
You will be instrumental in creating connections to 3rd party systems, contributing to our back-end application, developing internal tools and in shaping our data models. Your contributions and leadership will greatly influence the usability and usefulness of the product.
Day-to-day work will consist of managing partner relationships, designing, building, documenting and troubleshooting interfaces to 3rd party software. Additionally, you will be building new features, troubleshooting bugs, planning future dev work, reviewing teammate’s PRs, and taking ownership for our growing back-end application. You will be part of a close-knit team that is working hard for a better product each day.
* At least 3 years of experience building back-end applications
* Usage of Elixir and/or Erlang in production
* Deep knowledge of API designs
* Working knowledge of networking protocols and data interchange formats (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SOAP, JSON, XML)
* Working knowledge of relational databases
* A high bar for code quality with belief in automated testing
* Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple simultaneous engagements
* Strong problem solving and analytical skills with experience to resolve problems efficiently
* A desire to mentor and support a team of fellow developers
* Ability to think through challenges and develop features that solve them elegantly
* Ability to challenge and improve our current architecture
* Excitement for building critical integrations for veterinary hospitals
Skills considered as a good plus
* Previous remote engineer position, preferably as part of a small team
* Previous work on health care, medical records, veterinary, or enterprise software
* Knowledge of HL7
* Managing business relationships
We offer a supportive, caring, and rewarding work environment
We pay our team well (based on experience)
We give our team owner-like flexibility over work and time off
We offer health, vision, dental insurance and 401K
We offer a generous home office and professional development stipend
We provide all-expense-paid travel to hospitals and our annual retreat