DevOps Engineer vacancy at Status
With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community.
As a product, Status is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, transact, and access a revolutionary world of DApps on the decentralized web. But Status is also building foundational infrastructure for the whole Ethereum ecosystem, including the Nimbus ETH 1.0 and 2.0 clients, the Keycard hardware wallet, and the Waku messaging protocol (a continuation of Whisper).
As a team, Status has been completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 100+ core contributors strong, and welcomes a growing number of community members from all walks of life, scattered all around the globe.
We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.
Description of the job
Infrastructure means we do everything technical that isn’t programming the actual application. We handle metal hardware, cloud instances, containers, sandboxes, networking, VPNs, storage, databases, caches, websites, CDNs, monitoring, logging, backups, BI platforms, ETL, security of platforms and services ,CI builds for all possible platforms, documentation, and much, much more.
Specialization is nice, but being a jack of all trades is what’s necessary in infrastructure. Automation and documentation are essential to avoid going insane. Handling P2P node configuration, fixing iOS signing issues, debugging memory leaks in software, automating data scraping, tuning firewall rules, and benchmarking applications on windows, would be a normal day here. If you want to learn a lot about a lot of different things, this is the place.
- Automation of infrastructure deployment, configuration, and scaling
- Maintenance of monitoring, logging, and backup systems
- Development of continuous integration platforms and scripts
- Ensuring security of hosts and other online resources
- Responding to breakage and security incidents
You ideally will have:
- A strong alignment to our principles
- Good Linux and networking fundamentals(iptables, WireGuard)
- Knowledge of security and encryption tools (OpenSSH, GPG, Vault, AGE)
- Knowledge of infrastructure automation tools (Ansible, Terraform, Consul)
- Multiple programming languages, none essential though (Python, Go, Nim)
- Experience with monitoring and logging platforms (Prometheus, Grafana, ELK)
- Experience with continuous integration platforms (Jenkins, GitHub CI)
Bonus points if:
Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role. Just explain to us why in your cover letter.
- Experience working for an open source organization
- Experience with Nix/NixOS would be amazing
- Experience with BI platforms like Superset or Redash would be great
- Experience with mobile and/or desktop development (all 5 platforms)
Status offers above-average compensation, payable in fiat and/or crypto.
- Interview with People Ops
- Interview with Jakub, Head of Infrastructure
- Task (paid)
- Interview with Fred from the Security team
The steps may change along the way if we see it makes sense to adapt the interview stages, so please consider the above as a guideline. We’re looking for the new DevOps Engineer (you?) to join us, and we’re hoping to close the hiring process ideally by April/May.