Embedded Software Engineer
General overview of the role
Our engineering team is looking for a pet friendly, self-motivated, confident and passionate firmware engineer to help us develop our next generation of pet health and GPS trackers.
You will be tasked with the development of embedded software using cutting edge technologies in support of our software and data platforms. You will be required to think creatively to ensure that our platforms are optimized for low power consumption, while still maintaining the exceptional performance that our users expect.
This is a 100% remote position that requires at least 4 hours of overlap with our Kansas City team, based in US Central Time (CST/CDT). To interact with the team, you'll need a webcam and a stable internet connection. International candidates are welcome to apply.
- Design, implement and optimize high performance algorithms for wireless data transfers
- Understand HW / SW interactions and collaborate with various software engineers
- Diagnose and debug real-time embedded software systems
- Provide reliable solutions to a wide range of difficult problems using sound problem-solving techniques
- Perform periodic low-level software maintenance as required on product platforms in production
- Offer process improvement suggestions and author new procedures as appropriate for production testing
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- Report directly to our CTO
- 3+ years recent experience in firmware design and development
- Strong design, coding, and debugging abilities with embedded micro controllers programming
- Proficiency in writing software in C on embedded processors
- Demonstrated experience in commonly used communication protocols (I2C, SPI, USART, etc.)
- Experience developing for low power microcontrollers (e.g. TI MSP430, Cortex M series, Atmel AVR) required.
- Experience optimizing peripheral/sensor communications for low power
- Proficiency in integrating and porting device drivers
- Proficiency in using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and multimeters, debuggers to design, test and validate embedded systems
- Understanding of real time issues
- Fluency in spoken and written English
Skills considered as a good plus
- Experience in embedded wireless, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth low power devices
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field