Level Designer vacancy at Fire Hose Games
Fire Hose Games
We're hiring a producer as well as game, level, and narrative designers. You can view (and share) all of our current openings here.
Description of the job
Fire Hose Games is looking for experienced 3D Level Designer to join the team on our latest game. This is a console + PC release featuring new and unannounced IP, and the ideal candidate will be familiar with (and excited about) factory/automation games.
Fire Hose is a small team with both deep and broad skillsets, able to cover a variety of roles as we take on new and varied projects. In addition to deep experience with 3D level design, familiarity with other design disciplines (particularly systems design and/or UX design) would be a major advantage.
Our team is currently remote with an expectation of shifting to hybrid office/remote in the near future, so great communication and organizational skills are a must. Successful candidates must be able to work fully in sync with a team based in the U.S. Eastern time zone. Preference may be given to candidates in the greater Boston area, or who are willing to relocate.
If you’re excited about helping us deliver our most ambitious project yet, then we’re eager to hear from you!
- Take the lead on crafting 3D levels for a unique twist on factory/automation games that will induce the player to explore the game world while encouraging “just one more hour!” gameplay.
- Take game levels from start to finish, from concept, to grayboxing, through to art implementation and scripting.
- Work closely with other designers and the rest of the team, to make sure that the game’s world, story, and mechanics all work together in concert.
- Help the team maintain an agile approach to design and development, with an emphasis on tight iterative loops, and willingness to pivot based on the results of each iteration.
- Solicit internal and external playtest feedback, analyze the results, and adjust game levels accordingly.
- 3+ years professional experience in video game level design
- At least 1 shipped title in a design role
- Professional experience with modern consoles and/or Steam
- Able to write clear and actionable design documentation, and maintain it throughout all phases of development
- Comfortable working closely with other disciplines, and shepherding/refining good ideas regardless of where they originate
- Familiar with Unity Tools (C# scripting ability would be a major plus, but not required)
- Experience with Jira/Confluence/Atlassian suite
- Familiarity with factory/automation games
- Experience with game systems design
- Experience with UI/UX design
- Experience with Early Access/Live Development
- Experience with narrative-based or narrative-enhanced games
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Fire Hose Games is the Boston-based (temporarily remote) independent game development studio behind titles such as Go Home Dinosaurs, Catlateral Damage, and 20XX. We pay good salaries and our generous benefits package includes health care, dental, unlimited vacation/sick time, 401(k) with matching, excellent maternity/paternity leave, flexible work hours, and relocation reimbursement. Fire Hose hasn’t crunched in years and we don’t intend to start. Our company culture is inclusive, supportive, and fun. We strongly encourage applicants with diverse backgrounds and voices to apply, and consider relevant experience in all its forms. We hope to hear from you!
We're also hiring a Game Programmer and a Graphics Engineer. You can view (and share) all of our current openings here.
A Few of Our Games
Prevent hordes of marauding dinos from crashing your party in the world’s premier BBQ defense simulator, Go Home Dinosaurs! Lead your gopher army into BBQ-protecting-battle; Build your battlefield using puzzle piece shaped weapons. Unlock and discover new weapons as you continue to keep those dinos at bay! Enjoy bite-sized levels with family friendly graphics in Go Home, Dinosaurs.