Narrative Designer vacancy at Fire Hose Games
Fire Hose Games
We're hiring a producer as well as game, level, and narrative designers. You can view (and share) all of our current openings here.
Description of the job
Fire Hose Games is looking for an experienced Narrative Designer to join the team on our latest game. This is a console + PC release featuring new and unannounced IP, and the ideal candidate will be familiar with (and excited about) factory/automation games.
As Narrative Designer you’ll be responsible for telling an intriguing science fiction story through the game’s world and characters. We have some big-picture building blocks already, and we’ll need you to fill in the details and story beats. You’ll work closely with artists, engineers, and other designers to weave narrative into the player experience. Great design skills will be as important as good writing, and the ideal candidate will have experience telling stories through both text and other media.
Our team is currently remote, so great communication and organizational skills are a must. Successful candidates must be able to work fully in sync with a team based in the U.S. Eastern time zone. Preference may be given to candidates in the greater Boston area, or who are willing to relocate.
If you’re excited about helping us deliver our most ambitious project yet, then we’re eager to hear from you!
- Craft a storyline that draws the player from start to finish, but without ever standing in the way. The player should want to uncover more, but never feel forced to.
- Take the lead in worldbuilding for a brand new game IP.
- Serve as the lead writer for all in-game text, from tone-appropriate menu and quest deions through to story and flavor.
- Use environmental and atmospheric storytelling to deliver narrative in a way that feels natural and unobtrusive, and piques the player’s curiosity.
- Work closely with artists, engineers, and other designers to weave narrative into the game’s progression.
- Maintain an agile approach to both narrative and overall design, iterating regularly in response to user feedback, and adjusting narrative as necessary to accommodate larger pivots.
- Partner with artists and designers to help craft the look and feel of the UI, environment, and characters.
- Create and maintain all necessary documentation to support the game’s narrative content and delivery. This could include everything from wireframes to storyboards to user flows to VO s.
- 3+ years of professional experience in crafting narratives for commercial video games, with at least one title shipped in a narrative design role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Deep understanding of narrative design and storytelling methods that support player freedom and agency.
- Comfortable working closely with other disciplines, and shepherding/refining good ideas regardless of where they originate.
- Proven ability to communicate narrative through visual and environmental storytelling, as well as text.
- Experience with Jira/Confluence/Atlassian suite.
- Familiarity with factory/automation games.
- Familiarity with non-narrative aspects of game design.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.