60 day(s) ago
Senior Data Scientist vacancy at Teal
Remote worker location: Worldwide
English: Advanced, Upper Intermediate, Native Speaker
Experience: 5+ years
Teal empowers people to make career decisions with confidence. Millennials and Gen-Z will work for 45 years and have 40 jobs spanning 15 companies. They have apps to manage their finances, health and fitness, but nothing to help them navigate their careers. Teal provides members with a free browser extension and platform that leverages data and best practices to guide them as they navigate their job search, offering guidance, tracking and organizational tools.
Description of the job
Time zones: EST (UTC -5), CST (UTC -6), MST (UTC -7), PST (UTC -8), ART (UTC -3), UTC -4
We believe everyone can love their work & build a meaningful career. Our aim is to bring people tools and real-time guidance that empower them to build a career they love. We are working towards providing people with a platform that enables confident career decisions from the day they start working to the day they retire.
Companies have HR, but most employees really only have... Google…. Does the idea of empowering every professional in the world with the tools, insights and guidance for their career appeal to you? Do you believe a Calm or Peloton for careers SHOULD exist? Do you think your amazing data-science skills feel like a perfect fit for this massive problem?
As a Senior data scientist at Teal you will be:
- Working with engineering to build out our data-capture pipeline.
- Build machine learning and NLP models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation and validation, and partner with engineering teams to operationalize them
- Work with large and complex data sets to solve a wide array of challenging problems using different analytical and statistical approaches
- Building out the technology to perform complex NLP.
- Working closely with product and leadership teams to uncover insight goals and feature goals.
Ideally you are:
- Curious and creative. You thrive on bringing definition to big, undefined problems. You love asking questions, and you love pushing hard to find the answers. You’re not afraid to share a new idea. You communicate clearly and effectively to share your findings with non-technical audiences.
- A leader and entrepreneur. You challenge conventional thinking and work with stakeholders to identify and improve the status quo. You are self-motivated, and excited to help us solve a currently unsolved problem.
- Technical: You are not only familiar with foundational NLP concepts (e.g., language models, embeddings), but also tuned in with the state-of-the-art NLP model architectures (e.g., BERT etc...) and have hands-on experience training and fine-tuning the model solution using open source tools (tensorflow/pytorch).
- Statistically-minded. You have built models, validated them and backtested them. You know how to interpret a confusion matrix or a ROC curve. You have experience with clustering, classification, sentiment analysis, time series analysis and deep learning.
- You consider yourself a senior data scientist.
- A minimum of 4-6 years of work experience in the ML space.
- Experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python), and/or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R).
What Awesome Looks Like:
At day 1:
- You’ve absorbed some of the domain, gotten to know the stakeholders, received a tracking number for your shwag.
At 1 week:
- You are 90% on building out the data-pipeline, 10% daydreaming about what to do with the data.
- You have a good idea of how the backend services work, how we are collecting data, and how we are not – and you have a plan for how to fix this.
- You have some preliminary ideas about the NLP solutions we need, and about the ontologies you think we should have.
At 1 month:
- Your data-pipeline is in place, and you are focused on the data itself – the fun part.
- You’ve got some plans on the models you want to build, and maybe have started coding them up already.
At 3 months:
- Some of your models are in production, you’ve worked with engineers to surface their functionality and our users are benefiting.
- You are in the midst of some larger projects, figuring out how to leverage the ontologies you’ve designed for various company efforts.
Who We Are:
A small team of innovative, collaborative, and dedicated individuals passionate about helping people build meaningful careers. Our backgrounds range from Architecture to Digital Design and from Human Resources to Software Engineering. We are travelers, pet lovers, musicians, parents, scuba divers, podcasters, readers, gamers, croquet players, and puzzle masters. We focus on aligning intentions, which typically results in less miscommunications, fewer meetings, and better outcomes. We adhere to a “what-by-when” mentality, which means the hours you keep are up to you, and we value your ability to set expectations and do your best to meet them.
What We Offer:
- Salary Range: $150,000 - $180,000 depending on seniority & geography
- Incentive Stock Options proportionate to salary
- Fully remote work team & remote office stipend (co-working, laptop, etc.)
- Career development stipend
- Unlimited vacation and sick days
- 12 week paid parental leave
- 80 - 100% coverage of health insurance for full family, Commuter Benefits & 401K Benefits with company matching.
- Guaranteed 1-month severance if things don’t work out. You are trusting us with your career, and we want you to know we take it seriously.
Our Hiring Process:
- We read every application and make our best effort to reply to everyone.
- Please read the job description. We love when people strive but if you do not meet more than 50% of the requirements, we are less likely to respond.
- Goal: High level qualifications & mutual fit
- 30 minute zoom with our CTO
- We make sure to preserve 10 minutes for your questions.
- We will provide the question and guidance in advance.
- Goals: Deeper understanding of qualifications
- 90 minute zoom with 2 Teal people
- First 30 minutes we will ask some questions
- Second 30 minutes we will discuss a past project of yours
- Final 30 minutes we will go over how you might solve a problem
Paid Take-home problem
- Goal: get to see your work intimately in a domain that we understand
- We pay you $1,000 to work on a mini-project that should take 5-10 hours.
- We take a day to review
- Goal: Meet more of the Team
- 30 minute zoom with 1 to 2 Teal people
- Goal: Let you know all hurdles have been cleared, and offer you a place in our team.