Senior Rails Developer vacancy at Area
60,000 - 90,000 $ per Year
Area was founded in 2015 by experienced estate agents and seasoned technology veterans. We have now processed almost a million enquiries and are the beating heart of hundreds of leading estate agents.
We partner with other leading companies in the property technology space such as Reapit, Moneypenny, Kerfuffle and Relocation Agent Network to create integrations that simplify and modernise estate agencies.
Description of the job
Senior Rails Developer
Area is essentially a type of CRM system for estate agents that is used to manage and engage with consumers. Our software sits between the agency's website, property portals and other CRM systems. Our services are built in Ruby on Rails and run on AWS. Almost 500,000 consumers engage with the Area platform each year so you’ll be working on a well-established product and interacting with an experienced management and product team.
We are looking for a solid Rails developer with experience in DevOps and an interest in building B2B2C software with a focus on the end-user. This is very much a get your hand's dirty startup role where you will be able to take ownership and work in an agile fashion. We’re a remote-first company that’s flexible with working schedules, but we’re all about getting things done. We value working smarter rather than simply working harder or longer. We’ll try to meet up a few times a year but other than that you can work from anywhere +/- 5 hours time difference so we can have some overlap with you.
- Able to speak and write in English (intermediate to advanced)
- A strong understanding of Ruby on Rails (5.X specifically)
- At least 3 years commercial experience working with Rails
- At least basic knowledge of deploying and monitoring production systems in Amazon AWS
- Solid understanding of relational databases (we use Postgresql)
- A proactive and positive team-based approach to investigating and resolving issues on a live system
- Strong testing skills ideally with RSpec
- Self-motivated and able to manage own workload
- Experience working in remote and/or startup teams
Nice To Haves
- Experience with UX, UI and product development
- Experience with third-party services like Twilio, Pusher, Sendgrid, Redis, Papertrail, Cloud66
Area is committed to fostering an inclusive and positive working environment, with lots of opportunities to engage with your colleagues, albeit remotely most of the time. You’ll also have the opportunity to influence the business and be part of a fast-moving startup with continuous growth opportunities.
- Competitive salaries without the need to work in an office or commute
- A coworking space membership so you can focus on your work
- An equipment allowance (we like Macs) so you have the best tools
- A skills development budget (e.g. courses or books) to keep you sharp
- Flexible holiday allowance and personal days as required
By sending us your application you agree to us using your personal data for recruitment purposes. We are storing this data in our recruitment software, which is fully compliant with GDPR/EU data protection laws. If you are unsuccessful in your application for this role, we may keep your details on file so that we can get in touch with you about other suitable vacancies which may be of interest in the future. If you would rather we did not keep your details on file for this, please let us know.